The following is a list of Macintosh related resources. Accuracy is not guaranteed, and listing should not be construed as endorsement by SSMUG. Contact the SSMUG webmaster with updated information.
- Apple Support
- Local Apple Stores
- Other Local Mac User Groups
- The MUG Center
- Local PC Clubs (last resort)
- Chicago Computer Society, (708) 588-0385. South Suburban chapter meets each Tuesday at Prairie State. (Come to SSMUG on the second Tuesday.) PC based, not Mac. But you may want to attend their Internet Special Interest Group (SIG) on the 4th Tuesday.
Some libraries offer computer courses or classes in computer literacy:
- Orland Park Public Library offers computer workshops on using the library catalog and database and on a variety of other topics: 708-349-8322.
- Illinois Public Library Directory: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/library/lib_dir/pub/pubmsySL.htm
At many junior colleges, seniors may take courses for free or be charged just the lab fee. Many junior colleges offer classes in specific software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Contact your junior college:
- Prairie State College: http://www.prairiestate.edu/
- South Suburban College: http://www.ssc.cc.il.us/
- Morraine Valley Community College: http://www.morainevalley.edu/
When considering the cost of taking a college class, keep in mind that, even as a part-time student, you may qualify for reduced prices on computer hardware, software, travel, and a myriad of other goodies.
- Bill Geraci (email), 708-788-1936. Bill teaches Mac classes from time to time (notably at the Latin School) and runs a Novice SIG (special interest group) for The NorthWest of Us Mac User Group from 8:30-9:50, second Saturdays in Rolling Meadows. He is also available for individual training, tutoring and troubleshooting.
- HF Park District, 957-7275, 957-0300. While these classes are not taught on Macs, they may be helpful to beginners or for a particular application which runs on both PCs and Apple Computers.
- Donate/Recycle computer equipment you no longer use: